The Great Ocean Road in Australia is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning coastal views and iconic landmarks. When planning your trip, it’s important to choose the right base location to make the most of your visit. In this article, we will explore some of the best places to base yourself along the Great Ocean Road.
Located at the start of the Great Ocean Road, Torquay is an ideal base for those looking to explore the road in its entirety. This coastal town is famous for its surfing beaches, and it is home to the world-renowned Bells Beach. Torquay offers a range of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly motels, making it suitable for all types of travelers.
What to do in Torquay:
- Visit the Australian National Surfing Museum
- Explore the Surf Coast Walk
- Spend a day at Bells Beach
- Enjoy water activities such as surfing or swimming
Lorne is a picturesque coastal town nestled between the Great Otway National Park and the ocean. It is known for its beautiful beaches, cascading waterfalls, and vibrant arts scene. With a range of accommodation options, Lorne is a great base for those wanting to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
What to do in Lorne:
- Take a walk to Erskine Falls
- Explore the Great Otway National Park
- Visit the Lorne Theatre for a cultural experience
- Relax on the beach and soak up the sun
3. Apollo Bay
Located approximately halfway along the Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay is a charming coastal town that offers a range of activities and attractions. With its beautiful beaches and proximity to Otway National Park, it is an excellent base for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
What to do in Apollo Bay:
- Take a scenic drive to the Cape Otway Lighthouse
- Explore the Great Ocean Walk
- Go fishing or boating in the Apollo Bay Harbour
- Indulge in fresh seafood at local restaurants
4. Port Campbell
Port Campbell is a small coastal village known for its rugged cliffs and iconic rock formations, including the famous Twelve Apostles. If you want to be close to these natural wonders, Port Campbell is an excellent choice for a base location along the Great Ocean Road.
What to do in Port Campbell:
- Visit the Twelve Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge
- Explore the Port Campbell National Park
- Enjoy scenic helicopter rides over the coastline
- Learn about the area’s history at the Port Campbell Discovery Walk
Choosing the right base location along the Great Ocean Road can greatly enhance your experience. Whether you prefer the surf culture of Torquay, the natural beauty of Lorne and Apollo Bay, or the iconic rock formations of Port Campbell, there is a perfect base for every traveler. Consider your interests and priorities when deciding where to base yourself, and get ready to explore one of Australia’s most breathtaking coastal drives.